Tuesday, May 29, 2012

"Vintage" Travel Garland


I have never really done any scrapbooking, but a while back I bought a booklet of fun, travel-themed scrapbook paper that I found in the discount bin at the craft store (DCWV, "The Bon Voyage Travel Stack").  I only needed a few sheets to line a decoupage gift box I was making for a friend.  After that was done, I was left with a bunch of really cool paper that I had no idea what to do with.  Somehow I got the idea to make a garland out of one of the sheets that had vintage-style travel tickets printed on it.


First, during a craft night with Linda over at Our Lovely Bungalow, I cut each ticket out.  I will be honest and tell you the cut out tickets sat in a box for about 6 months before I remembered them.  


 

Next, I cut some brown packing paper from the roll and started to glue the pieces onto it.  I use Aleene's acid-free tacky glue for things like this.  I put some of the glue into a small bowl, added a little bit of water and applied it to the paper with a small paintbrush.  The tickets needed a little coaxing to really stick at all the corners and lay flat so each time I had a text-book size area finished, I put a heavy book on it and let it sit for a few minutes. 


Once everything had dried, I cut each ticket out of the brown paper, leaving a border of paper showing. 


I then used a hole punch to make the holes for stringing the tickets into a garland.  For most of the pieces I punched two holes because the tickets won't lay flat otherwise.  A few of the smaller pieces only got one hole since they were going to be strung together with a larger ticket.


I made sure to get the layout of the tickets how I wanted on my desk first before starting to string them onto the twine.  I chose twine because I think it compliments the weathered look of the tickets and the brown packing paper nicely.


Overall, this was a fun, easy project.  I may make another one with the other sheet.  Hopefully it doesn't take another 6 months though!

The garland is for sale in my etsy shop

No comments:

Post a Comment