Thursday, May 31, 2012

Coffee Cups


A few years ago I snapped a picture of two coffee cups on my kitchen counter.  Something about the simple shape of the cups and the shadows just caught my attention.  


A while later, I decided to try to dredge up what was left of my artistic side and attempt a pencil sketch of the photo.  It is really a fairly simple subject so it was a good starting place.  Though the sketch could no doubt be improved upon, I was really surprised at the result.  There was hope for me after all!  It seems that 5 + years of soul crushing grad school had not, in fact, crushed my soul ;) 

Pencil Sketch

Grad school is now an increasingly distant memory.  I finally earned my Ph.D. last September.  I have since been teaching and working more on creative endeavors.  Recently, I decided to attempt another take on the coffee cups.  I love watercolor paints but I am definitely still learning how to paint.  I thought the coffee cups would also be a good subject to help me increase my skill with watercolors.  I had such a fun time making the little painting and I did learn a lot.  

Watercolor Painting (for sale in my etsy shop)

I am sure that the watercolor painting will not be my last artistic rendition of the coffee cups.  I really am obsessed with this photo.  I also need to keep my eye out for new subjects that can hold my interest like this one.   

No comments:

Post a Comment